top of page
San-pedro.jpeg

San Pedro

It is one of the commercial ports that were founded to serve the sugar mills that were established at the end of the 19th century, and it was very active in the first two decades of the 20th century. Specifically, in 1879 the great progress achieved by this city began when it was erected as a district due to the separation of the province of El Seibo, and the port was enabled for export trade.

Contact

By decree of then President Fernando Arturo de Meriño, the Macorisan commune was separated from the Seibo province on September 1, 1882, making it the head commune of the Maritime District of Macorís.

 

In 1883, the dock was managed by Mr. Isaac de Marchena, through a contract with the government of General Ulises Heureaux. In this period, lanchones or barges made of resistant wood were built, covered by a thick layer of tar to protect it from saltpeter and water, used to transport goods to ships

In 1883, the dock was managed by Mr. Isaac de Marchena, through a contract with the government of General Ulises Heureaux. In this period, lanchones or barges made of resistant wood were built, covered by a thick layer of tar to protect it from saltpeter and water, used to transport goods to ships

 

The Port of San Pedro de Macorís is state property, currently administered by Apordom. Three companies operate at its facilities: the Sultana del Este electricity company, Cementos Mexicanos (Cemex) and Ferquido, and also the Colón sugar mill - owned by the Vicini Group -, which has access to the port itself.

There are two CBM (conventional buoy mooring) fuel reception terminals, one for importing fuels and propane gas (LPG) for the Coastal Petroleum company and the other for importing fuel for the Cogentrix power plant.

 

The J. W. Tatem & Co. agency began its activity in this city in 1919, which moved to Santo Domingo and today is Agencias Navieras B&R, the oldest shipping company in the country.

Operation. General Cargo
Import: dry bulk cargo, clinker, coal and fertilizers
Export: sugar and molasses, cement in bags
Reception of tourist ships.

Leading:  327º

Beaconing: 8 Buoys: 4 green, 3 red, 1 landfall

Spring length: 740.7 meters (2,430 combined feet)

Depth range:  6.2 to 8 meters (20.3 to 26.2 feet)

Lighthouse:  N/A

Inlet channel depth:  8.20 meters (27 feet)

Dock depth:  7.90 meters (25.9 feet)

Docks:  04

Tidal variation:  0.5 meters (1.7 feet)

Circle of maneuvers:  275 meters (902 feet)

Port operations: Export: Sugar and molasses, cement Import: Bulk cargo, coal, fertilizers

bottom of page