top of page
la-romana.jpeg

La Romana

The Port of La Romana was originally (between 1890 and 1915) a logging pier dedicated to the export of mahogany, cedar, guayacán and other types of wood typical of a triple humid tropical forest.

In 1912, the South Puerto Rico Sugar Company, a North American sugar company based in Puerto Rico, decided to establish itself in the country with the purpose of producing sugar cane, and used this port to transport it by barge to Puerto Rico to be processed. at the Guánica mill.

Contact

The current Port of La Romana, owned by the Central Romana Corporation, was built in 1954 by the private sector for the export of sugar, molasses and for imports of machinery and accessories, as well as cargo by individuals (general cargo operations in containers, loose and bulk).

 

Although today it continues to export sugar, the process of diversification of the economy and the boom in cruise tourism led the owner company to build a tourist pier inside the port terminal, completing the facilities they offer to travel to the Catalina Island, handling passengers in international embarkation and disembarkation through its airport. This tourist terminal for passenger handling was built by the private sector in 2002-2003. The port and terminal are administered by the Central Romana and controlled by the Dominican State (Apordom). It has a draft that ranges between 30 and 36 feet deep, with two berths of approximately 200 meters and 220 meters.

Currently the port has two terminals, the commercial dock and the tourist terminal. The commercial dock, for its part, is dedicated to the export of sugar, general cargo, containerized cargo and fuel transportation.

 

In addition to being a prosperous sugar port, in the 1970s La Romana began a second life when the North American businessman Charles Bluhdorn, president of Gulf & Western, built Casa de Campo, one of the most famous tourist complexes in the world, together with Altos de Chavón, a town of artists overlooking the Chavón River, reminiscent of the small towns of southern France and Italy.

Operation. Loading and unloading: Sugar, Fuels, Cruise handling. Vessel reception: Freighter, Bulk Carrier, Tanker, Tugboat, Barge.


Import: Loose general cargo, Containerized general cargo, Solid general cargo.

Leading:  346º

Beaconing: 2 Buoys: 1 green, 1 red

Lighthouse:  N/A

Inlet channel depth:  Black and white steel tower Period 6 s: Flash 1 s, Concealment 5 s Elevation: 90 feet Range: 15 nautical miles

Dock depth:  17 meters (55.8 feet)

Docks:  03

Spring length: Western Pier: 220 meters (722 feet) Old Pier: 200 meters (656.2 feet)

Depth range: 10.5 to 11.1 meters (34.4 to 36.4 feet)

Tidal variation:  0.6 meters (2 feet)

Circle of maneuvers:  Western Pier: 220 meters (722 feet) Eastern Pier: 200 meters (656.2 feet)

Port operations: Export: Sugar, sugar by-products Import: General cargo Reception of tourist ships

bottom of page