top of page
cabo-rojo.jpeg

Cabo Rojo

The Cabo Rojo terminal was built in 1957 by the Aluminum Corporation of America (Alcoa) for the export of bauxite and limestone. Its structure consists of two facilities for bulk exports using belts with a single spring.

Contact

Upon termination of the contract with Alcoa, the Dominican Port Authority granted the concession of the port to the Ideal Dominicana company, dedicated to the export of limestone and the import of clinker (base material to produce cement). It is currently operated by the company Cementos Andino, with Colombian capital, and clinker, limestone, bauxite and cement operations are carried out there.

The port is located in the province of Pedernales, with mainly agricultural activity: production of coffee and cattle. Fishing is also an important activity, and it is one of the provinces with the highest catch of fish, lobsters and lambí. Cabo Rojo limestone mining, when in operation, was also important.

Lately, tourism has also developed, especially national tourism, to visit the beaches of Cabo Rojo and Bahía de las Águilas. Another tourist focus is the Hoyo de Pelempito, in the Sierra de Bahoruco.

Operation. Exports of bulk cargo, clinker, limestone, bauxite and cement.

Leading:  080º

Beaconing: 4 buoys: 2 green, 2 red

Lighthouse:  N/A

Inlet channel depth:  18 meters (59 feet)

Dock depth:  14 meters (36 feet)

Docks:  N/A

Spring length: 115 meters (377 feet)

Depth range: 9 to 11 meters (29.5 to 36 feet)

Tidal variation:  0.6 meters (2 feet)

Circle of maneuvers:  200 meters (656.1 feet)

Port operations: Export: Minerals (Bauxite)

bottom of page